It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Grilling Bacon, Severe Winds and Finding Free Places To Stay.


Our Location today is Holtville Hot Springs LTVA, Holtville, California, U.S.A. 

After constantly getting up early every day with a few days that we didn’t sleep too well thrown in for good measure last night we promised one another to sleep in until we would casually wake up this morning. Even though I had awakened before 6 PST I convinced myself to stay in bed or my absence would definitely wake Kathy so I rolled over and fell back to sleep. As Sunlight started leaking in around the window shades it was Kathy who got out of bed first. It was slightly past 7:30 PST but what a difference that extra sleep made as neither of us were falling asleep in our cereal but having an intelligent conversation. 
One of many Military Helicopters around today.
Part of those conversations included what we each wanted to get done today and Kathy planned on doing some cooking so none of the food in the fridge would spoil. Even though I had other plans she reminded me that we had three pounds of Bacon to grill up on the Weber Q 
Bad pic with the point and shoot. One of many Warthogs around today.
Since I wanted to clean and organize the Basement, something I have tried to do unsuccessfully numerous times lately I thought I could work the two together. After removing our just Camping Chairs I was able to get the Weber and its Stand, the Toolbox with the Barbecue Tools and the Folding Table out of the basement without injuring myself. That was a good start but I had some cooking to do before doing the basement. 
Using the Grilling Mat works great doing Bacon on our Weber.
The reason I grill the Bacon outside is it is quicker to do on the Weber and it doesn’t heat up the inside of the trailer. Besides Kathy was already using up the space in the kitchen with everything else she was doing. The reason we do so much of it at a time is that once it has been cooked Kathy repackages it and freezes it. When she needs Bacon for Salads, Sandwiches or a Side she simply pulls out what she needs from the freezer to use. If you only cook it as you need it, it takes more time than doing a big batch and you sometimes Overcook how much need which means you will also Overeat. 
Three Pounds of grilled Bacon.
Everything was going well except the Sun was cooking me while I was grilling the Bacon so I ran out the Awning to make shade. Then the wind started blowing harder from the west so I had to turn the Weber so the flame wouldn’t blow out. Just then Kathy called from the door to see how it was going. I no sooner got the words out that I was about “Ninety Percent Done” and the Wind became almost Gale Force. I told Kathy to close the awning or we’d lose it while I held on to the plate of Uncooked Bacon with one hand and the pan of Cooked Bacon that the wind was trying to flip to the ground with the other. Kathy took the Cooked Bacon inside and had to come back outside to hold the plate while I finished grilling the last few strips. 
Top of Bun Sauteed Portobello Mushroom with Provolone Cheese
topped with Bacon. Bottom of Bun Tomato and Lettuce. 
With the Bacon inside the trailer I didn’t even clean the Weber as I usually do after each use because the wind was Too Intense. By the time that I got inside Kathy had already assembled a BCLMT (Bacon, Provolone Cheese, Lettuce, Sautéed Portobello Mushroom and Tomato) sandwich for lunch. It melted in our mouths and was delicious but not over filling. 

The Wind continued battering the trailer harder than it had yesterday so I turned on my Computer to check The Weather Network where they showed we were getting Thirty MPH Wind with Gusts up to Forty-Five MPH. It sounded like we were inside a drum the way the wind was slapping the Slide Covers. 
Almost like last night's Supper.
Perogies with Cheese, Turkey Sausage and Corn.
After making certain everything was secured outside we settled in for more research on the Computers. Kathy had me trying to find things by Googling BLM Lands around Phoenix and Tucson and I was getting nowhere fast. I finally went to the bottom of Our Blog and the link that says Free Camping (US) and instantly we were finding all kinds of places we’ll be able to stay at for Free. 
Peaceful Sunset but still Breezy this evening.
The Wind has finally calmed and we should be able to have a peaceful night’s sleep. Tomorrow we’ll either finish what we started today or go exploring. The Jell-O is still being stirred. Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment. Be Safe and Enjoy! 

It’s about time.
Krackers 

You Might Be a Redneck If 

Your beard is visible from behind you. 

7 comments:

  1. In the desert winds can come up in an instant, we constantly keep an eye on the weather forecast. So many places where you can camp for free in the southwest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didn't loose your bacon. Nothing like free and low cost camping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We drove by Schneider Hill outside of Tucson yesterday. It is free camping and there were a fair number of people there. You can also stay at Gilbert Ray Campground near Tucson for $20.00 a night, which includes power. It is really nice but is first come first serve so get there early. It's funny everyone is talking about the wind but we haven't had any in Ajo or Tucson, fingers crossed it stays that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be sure to check out the BLM at Saddleback Mountain just west of Phoenix by about 20 miles. Beautiful place. I love it. You can do a search on my blog and see how beautiful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sure sounded like some rough wind!! Glad you didn't lose your awning or your bacon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im paranoid about my awning after a high wind bent my free standing shade tent around the trailer one evening. The wind had it wrapped so tight around the door i couldn't even get a flashlight. Had to dismantle the tent by moonlight. Glad U didn't lose your awning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snyder Hill SW of Tucson is a great place to stay. Variety of people all with interesting stories. We saw you tonight and will look you up tomorrow. We are at Holtville Hot Springs LTVA as well.

    ReplyDelete