It's about time.

Many of you can relate to Working long hours at your career. Raising your families. Buying a home and paying all the bills related to being homeowners and parents. We're now retired and don't need all that work and expense. Now "It's about time" and what we do to follow our dreams.

Thank You for Following our Blog.

Thank You for following this Blog

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Six Hours Ahead, One Hour Back.

Our Location today is Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada.

After posting our blog last night we didn’t waste any time heading out the door. We drove out to the new Belle River Arena to watch our grandson Tyler play hockey. He used to play in the Tecumseh league but this year they didn’t have enough players in his age group to have a league. This arena is so new that the concrete dust hasn’t been cleaned off the seats and floor in the public gallery area. 
Noah and Kylla
Tyler on his new team.
Of course his usual cheering fans were there like his mom (dad was at work or he would have been there), his sister Kylla and boyfriend Noah, friends and Kathy and I. There was a delay in starting due to the score time keeper going to the wrong rink in the building. Both teams were well matched as far as the size of the players and their caliber at playing the game but in the end Tyler’s team won with a score of 3 to 1. 
Tyler fighting for the puck.
We just made it home in time to see the 11 o’clock News and one that was finished we went to bed where we both slept soundly until 8:00 this morning. After a quick breakfast we were once again out the door as Kathy had a consult with her family doctor about her recent blood tests. We were hoping that she’d be in and out quickly because I had plans but everyone and their neighbor was there for whatever reasons. Kathy’s cholesterol has really dropped and her sugar is holding steady in other words she’s doing great.   

We headed to Amherstburg to our son Kevin’s so I could continue to make progress on the latest project for the trailer. When we arrived just before 11:00 Kevin was out cutting his grass. With all the rain our area has been getting he has to cut it twice a week. Kathy brought in the food she had prepared yesterday for our lunch today. I busied myself bringing more supplies into the garage and started staining the map frame that Kathy wants for our office. Since I wasn’t worried about the shade of stain I used the can of Gunstock that turned out to be Sedona Red. 

Southwest Salad and Quiche.
Kathy called us in at 12:00 for lunch and we enjoyed a great but filling meal along with some good conversation. As soon as we’d eaten Kevin and I went back to the garage. After I laid out how I needed to cut the corners on the shelves Kevin started trimming them with the jigsaw while I laid out notches I had to make on the legs. I then used the hand type Miter Saw to edge the cuts and then the wood chisel to clean out the notches. Imagine the horror when on the last piece I realized that I had made the notch on the wrong edge of the leg. I will have to remake that leg which should take about an hour. 
Reviewing how I'll brace the project.
Kevin also noticed something that I’d forgotten to allow for which is bracing. When I cut the new leg out I’ll also cut the braces which will help stabilize it with the road vibration. I was just trying to do too much at once and that’s how mistakes are made. I still continued doing other things afterwards including drilling holes for doweling. 
Using Miter Saw to notch the legs. 
Around 5:30 Kathy and I went over to McDonalds for supper where we used a coupon to save some money. Just as we were about to leave Kris a Pipefitter by trade that I haven’t seen since I retired stopped at our table with his two sons to say Hello. The conversation spilled out into the parking lot as we talked of work and what he is doing now as well as our travels. He is hoping to be able to do the same someday.   

It was almost 7:00 by the time we got back to Kevin and Melissa’s for our weekly Wednesday night visit. As usual there is never a shortage of things to talk about and we always have lots of things that keep us laughing. 

With the shorter days it was plenty dark by the time we left to come home. Kathy has an appointment tomorrow. I need a piece of wood to make the new leg, and I have to pick up a missed delivery. Thanks for following along and feel free to leave a comment. Be Safe and Enjoy!

It’s about time.

Krackers

The World's Great Proverbs

Better safe than sorry.

1 comment: